Well before I actually start writing the focus of this (not that anyone is reading this anyway or has any clue its been posted)... I need lots of prayer. Yeah, lots of changes, lots of beating myself up, and moving on...
There's a big difference between the two... one of which is a "must," and one of which is a "sometimes." And while some may get these two confused, its amusing to note that neither one relate to each other in anyway. In my struggles, I come to remember as I ask for God's grace... that He has compassion on me... but to note that He does not tolerate my faults. Sin is sin, truth is not relative, and no matter what the excuse is, a wrong doing simply cannot be right.
So its a burden to come to church and to feel division amongst leaders; however, the most bothersome details occur when youth are involved in such hostilities. In today's society... just about everything is considered "normal" and nothing comes as a shocker to anyone for any reason (unless you're just "old-fashioned" or "radical conservative"). I don't believe kids should be able to just express themselves however they want, especially in the church when the Bible lays down firm rules and commandments... but my focus is not going to be attacking youth for what they do wrong... rather... to remind the church to have compassion on them. Not to tolerate they're wrong doings, but to remember that above all things, love is key. Its easy to judge someone, especially when things are presented in a half manner. Good example would be facebook or myspace. When viewing a friends' page and comments, you can easily see the comments left on that person's wall; but sometimes you can't see the replies to that person--therefore presenting a one-sided outlook on what is happening. I know I've done it several times, having seen what someone said about something and completely having false assumptions of what is happening, and not knowing the full detail of what is being done (yeah I'm perfectly aware that this is a horrible example, not to mention that not everyone is facebook/myspace literate, but whatever). The same is applied when looking at youth. We see their behaviors and assume so many wrong things, and we almost want to send certain kids to certain corners of the room, as if to say that child were a monster; a Quasimoto of Notredame that shouldn't be seen in public (or at least... "not in church"). I've seen so many sermon's preached to youth about sin, hell, and the life style's teens live. "Oh yeah, when you're in the back seat of the car doing this and that," "Oh when you're on the computer and no one is looking," "Remember God is watching you when you're worshipping at church and cursing with your friends." This is not to say that none of this can be true at any given time; but youth are not dumb. They're perfectly aware of thier actions, and if they don't change after 20 times of accusing the child, what makes you think the 21st time will be any different? Maybe a new approach is needed... similar to what Jesus did. He had compassion, not tolerance. There were times growing up that I would get in trouble, but for some reason, after a talk with the parents, they decided not to punish me... or that they would only punish me lighly (compared to "what it could have been"). They sat me down and told me what I did was wrong; therefore, they didn't embrace my wrong doing, but they did embrace me. They showed me that they still loved me, but that I needed to be careful of what I did, and that my actions were not acceptable. Why don't we do this with the youth of today's generation? Why can't we speak of God's love and testify of the good things that have happened? I've never once seen a kid enjoyed getting yelled at, but i have seen kids enjoy a story of how someone went through a major crisis and how things fell into place, and getting that person out of their dilemna (spelling? ... whatever... I'm not an English major).
I'm no where near perfect; no where near where I even want to be. But I do know that i respond more positively when shown compassion (without tolerance), than to be scolded and not even given a chance.
I want to sponser a youth revival. I don't know how, I don't know who, I don't know when or where. Who will speak? Who will lead praise and worship, and who do I define as youth? But I want the opportunity of God's love to be made evident in the lives of youth around this region. To hear testimonies of God's compassionate grace; to know that the condemning words of church leaders and parents are not the final words, but that God's grace is sufficient, and that He is our saviour and shepherd. A time at the alter where people can come to be prayed for whatever they want without having to go into detail... to remember that its between them and God, or to come to the alter and pray for others that have faught similar battles in the past. To leave with a fire that consumes them and to remember their first true love wasn't a girl or a guy, but a comforting friend whose name is Jesus. I know this is needed for such a time as this... I know it, and I need it. Oh I pray to God for his compassion; his discipline; and his healing touch. I've lost so much, but through it all... through the hard times in school... the failures at my own passion and talent... through the loss of the dearest of friends... I recieved back the one thing that mattered most, and I don't want to lose that again.
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Sobering reminder of what is at stake in the ministry...the hearts of men.
Post a Comment