Thursday, June 12, 2008

"Why do Bad Things Happen to Such Good People?"

Last night, after church, I came home, and naturally the first thing I do is read everyone's away messages. Oddly enough, the first away message…and the only away message I read was from a friend, in which it asked the question, "Why do bad things happen to such good people?" This weekend has been one of those strong weekends against several people. A friend lost his fiancĂ© in an auto accident, and one of my friends' friend's father was killed (murdered). It's one of those questions we ask ourselves all the time…whether it is something as terrible as a death, or as something as simple as stress… or maybe even to the extent of not feeling appreciated or just being left out. Regardless…we all wonder "why?" though. How come…a young lady who lived her life to please God, and was pure in heart, would lose her life? Why does a man who struggled to meet ends meet in a family, and work hard, be killed? Even going back a little in time…the two officers that were killed in Charlotte…two men that had families…and just wanted to protect their community…
I read her away message…and I just started typing…I didn't ask what was wrong…if there was something even wrong (for all I knew, it could have just been a thought), and I didn't ask if she needed someone to talk to…I just started typing (just as a side note, she did tell me exactly what it was that happened and such afterwards…but anyway).
And it's something that I think everyone (mainly my fellow Christians) needs to hear (read). I understand that by writing this, some of you may disagree with me, because it is a perspective related to God, but it's what I believed, it's what she accepted, and it's a perspective you may want to consider down the road. I'm not forcing my beliefs on anyone, but they're there if anyone wants to talk.
Notice: I'm a Christian…and as a Christian, I believe without a shadow of a doubt, that everything is inspired by God…and everything comes from God; therefore, I give myself no credit in any of what is written: This is what I typed minus a few non-relevant comments here and there. My writing in red, hers in black (dude…I'm going to change that…make my writing blue…red reminds me of those Bibles where "Jesus words in Red"…yeah…I'm far from it…let's go blue…and some may have heard some of these references that I give throughout the writing…but hey…if it works…why change it?):
Me: Jeremy Camp has an album out, "Live: Unplugged". It comes with a DVD. In the DVD, he talks about how he lost his wife to cancer after 4 months of being married (bad thing happening to a good person)
Girl: oh man
Me: He prayed to God and he was angry, because the bible says in some parts, that "God Heals." And he questioned God saying, "Why didn't you heal my wife?"
Girl: I know...that what I'm doing now...wondering why god allowed this to happen
Me: he asked so many questions, but the main thing he asked God was, "Why? I don't want to know anything else but 'why?'"
Me: God replied: "I don't want you to know why, because if you knew...it wouldn't be walking by faith, now would it?"
Girl: I guess that's true, it's just sad when innocent people die
Me: yeah...just Friday, one of my youth pastors...his fiancé died
Girl: oh man
Me: hit in an auto accident, they were scheduled to be married October, I believe
Me: but even then...we don't know why it happens...and I'd be lying to say I know, or to even give you any excuses...cause I know I've asked that question "Why?" so many times without an answer
Me: but God knows, and we just have to trust in him. And walk by faith
Me: "For we're called to walk by faith and not by sight." and though it's not easy, perhaps it is a trial we go through to test our faith in God and to become stronger...knowing as a reminder that tomorrow isn't promised to anyone
Girl: its times like these that I tend to lose faith in God when I really should be focusing on it and allowing that to help me through these rough times
Me: yes...I hear you loud and clearly…Spring break...I went to Louisiana on a mission trip…but, I was torn apart...distressed about so much, and I literally cried about the entire ride down there and...I had bought that Jeremy Camp DVD before leaving...just because. I also bought my laptop and I just decided to pop it in
Me: and that's when I heard Jeremy Camp's testimony

Girl: good timing
Me: every so often, something happens, and I get frustrated...but I recall those words, "I don't want you to know. Because if you did...it wouldn't be walking by faith"...I went outside one night, while everyone else was talking outside one of the nights I was there (at Louisiana) and just yelled at God.
Me: I didn't really think about the words Camp said in that video, but I remember being angry and saying, "I'm tired of comfort…I'm tired of encouragement…I don't want to hear, 'it's going to be ok'…I just want to know "why?" Why do I go through these things?
Me: "I see people who act so wrong in things they do, I strive to do your will and to walk as a Christian. When am I going to get my blessing? When am I going to be the one who receives healing? When am I going to be the one that will feel restored? When Lord? Why?
Me: and then and there I remembered those words (I don't want you to know why…)...and I cried praying for the very things I yelled at God saying I didn't want…
Me: encouragement, comfort, and to hear God say "You're going to be ok"
Me: We all stand strong at some point, but then God finally breaks us down and we realize we can't do anything and we're no one without him. It took me a long time to realize that. It took me forever to realize...that just because I walk with God, and do things at church, that it doesn't mean my life will be easier...
(Side note* this is where it can get controversial to some, especially when it comes to "talk of the devil" and such, but guess what…I DON'T CARE! =D also keeps in mind this conversation was from one Christian to anther. But I think what is said here applies to all Christians and not just her…since we wonder from time to time…"how is it we follow Christ and always feel like we're being attacked?")
Me: as a matter of fact...one of the youth pastors said last Wednesday: Satan is after those who are walking with God. think about it...
Me: why would bad things happen to bad people? Satan has them already, he has nothing to worry about. It's me and you; however, that he worries about...because we're on our way to heaven...and we're a threat to him
Me: So Satan says, "you know what? Let me attack Ramon (actually I put her name here…but for the sake of privacy…), and try to weaken. Because if I can knock him off her feet, and feel bad, and lose faith...then I don't have to worry about him reaching out to people in the future...and she'll be just like anyone else
Me: Satan knows you're someone...and he realizes you're a threat...so he's going to attack you however he can. But that's when you walk by faith and tell him that you might not see what's going on...but you're a child of God…and God has you in his hands.

There was a little more said here and their, but as said…it was directly relevant to my point here…and I tried to shorten it as best I could…but it's "me" we're talking about... The bottom line…is that we honestly don't know why it happens. I'll never know why my dad packed his bags and left, why I had to go through a tough child hood (yes…I know…we all have our tough childhood stories), and so on so forth…but in all honesty…does it matter? In this life…we just simply need to walk by faith…and just learn to trust. Not just God, but one another; after all, God uses people. We watch the news…and we hear about all the deaths…but we don't ever notice the good things that happen around us. I bet some of you can't even think of something good because you're head has been filled with nothing but negative stuff. Take on a new perspective: "Walk by Faith."

No comments: